Updates in progress
To work with a variety of technology and face new challenges. To use my skills to promote actual good in the world.
I like to build things. Big or small what really draws me in is new challenges and making something that is useful to someone.
Software Engineer at Rocket Mortgage
Detroit, MI — Jan 2019 — Present
Really enjoying working with a wonderful group of people helping clients realize their dream of owning their own home.
Senior Developer at E7 Solutions, LLC
Troy, MI — Apr 2014 — Dec 2018
Worked on many different custom software projects at E7. On some projects I assisted with development and architecture, on other projects I oversaw the entire process and reviewed work directly with the client. Some highlights of projects I worked on.
- Shopify E-Commerce App - built an app for the Shopify marketplace to allow a client's customers to integrate their Shopify stores with the client's marketplace. Planned, architected and developed the application using the Django framework and leveraged AWS services like RDS, SQS and Elastic Beanstalk. Assisted the client in setting up the application to run inside containers.
- Dental E-Commerce - rapidly developed a consumer facing dental e-commerce platform. An Angular v1 application with a RESTful backend written in Python using the Django framework and Postgresql. TODO: expand
- E-Learning Courses and Editor - built several Angular v1 applications managed with Grunt (and in two cases Gulp) tasks. Additionally developed a custom course editor on Electron Shell to allow the client to build out their own courses. TODO: expand
- Financial E-Learning – developed a custom application in Angular v1 so the client could promote continued education and innovation within their organization. Had to do a bit of experimentation due to the requirement that the application run on Sharepoint 2010.
- Automotive Manufacturing - several applications supporting a client in the automotive industry. Primarily an Angular v1 application with several RESTful services written in Java utilizing the Spring framework with a MySQL backend.
- Automotive E-Learning - developed several informational Angular v1 sites for a client in the automotive industry. The client wished to manage content changes through the HTML so we leveraged Angular’s Directives to allow this without disrupting the features they had requested. Later enhanced the application by utilizing the Sharepoint 2016 search api and translating search results to pages within the Angular v1 application.
Application Development Manager at North American Bancard
Troy, MI — Jan 2012 — Mar 2014
I worked closely with upper management during this time to develop structure for the growing IT development department. I helped define and implement the structure and processes that enabled the development teams to work together and with the rest of the organization. Below are some additional highlights from that time period.
- Directly managed a team of 10 developers with differing skill sets.
- Oversaw more than 216 releases of more than 20 applications.
- Added new tools and procedures to the team's development cycle. The tools, procedures and lessons learned were also later used to set standard procedures for the rest of the development group.
- In addition to overseeing application development and release I have acted on several cases as both a project manager and business analyst due to shortages in those areas.
- Heavily involved in an aggressive IT hiring spree. I developed a tool to help track candidates and interviews along with new procedures that helped everyone keep up with the influx.
Web Application Developer at North American Bancard
Troy, MI — Jul 2009 — Jan 2012
In this role I built, and often architected, several applications to support external and internal objectives. During this process I worked directly with various departments inside the organization since we did not have Business Analysts or Project Managers at that time. Below are some key achievements from this period.
- Improved communication and collaboration by introducing Redmine, a project management application, into our development routine which helped documentation and quality control. This reduced duplicated effort saving valuable time and resources. (Prior to this there was no ticketing system.)
- Created a file import management suite to organize our many data imports and bring early warning of failures to IT’s attention.
- Helped to migrate application deployment to a consistent, subversion based version control system.
- Helped to train coworkers on using development tools including but not limited to: subversion, netbeans, xdebug, and webgrind.
- Deployed and managed a Jenkins continuous integration server to ensure code quality. Trained coworkers on automated unit and integration testing.
Web Application Developer at Active Media Architects
St. Clair Shores, MI — Sep 2007 — Jul 2009
(Active Media Architects was acquired by SalesForce sometime after 2009)
My duties included but were not limited to the following: Setup and administration of company and client servers. Designing, implementing, maintaining, and optimizing applications fashioned to meet specific client needs and desires. Collaboration with project managers, sales teams, and designers on a daily basis to help deliver projects on time and on or under budget. Providing technical leadership to junior developers helping them learn solid scripting skills, good application design, and securing systems.
- Played key role in developing, launching, and enhancing over twenty distinct projects.
- Routinely maintained and optimized aging databases.
- Optimized an old database enabling the server to handle two to three times the original traffic.
- Optimized another old database allowing the server to respond in under a second instead of the 10-12 seconds it was originally using.
- Ported a maintenance script from PEAR_DB to MySQLi reducing execution time 80% and also saving valuable data.
- Seamlessly merged several third party systems into a client project.
- Instituted source control to track modifications to the third party systems and ease maintainability across all the client's servers.
- Managed upgrades that minimize operating costs and improve functionality.
- Contributed core components to company framework to help focus development, reduce repetition, and streamline repairs.
- Migrated systems and merged data while cleaning up the systems made by other developers.
- Managed and utilized client and company projects through Subversion and GIT.
Web Application Developer at Trademark Productions
Royal Oak, MI — Jul 2006 — Sep 2007
I met and dealt with clients directly translating what they wanted into reality. Worked within a collaborative environment designing and developing custom applications. Engineered customized features and modules for new applications; devised enhancements and updates for existing application suites.
- As an application developer, scoped and developed custom applications in PHP and MySQL.
- Developed administration system which was reused for many projects saving valuable company time and resources.
- As a client liaison, translated what they wanted into reality and explained what technologies we used and how it helped them.
- Developed a system for a local wine distributer to connect consumers, suppliers, and retailers with the company and their products.
- Designed, developed and optimized a site which connected patients with deals on prescription medicine that grew to over 11,000 members.
Last Revised: Feb 29, 2024